It’s a fight speech from Wendy’s, the latest burger chain to hit the UK in hopes of taking a bite out of the lucrative fast food market. Here’s what the website says:
“It’s time for a girl to show how it’s done, right. It’s official, Wendy’s has arrived… with hot, fresh and juicy burgers that are served FRESH on the grill, NOT on the heated platter… ”
Following the success of its five stores in Reading, Stratford, Romford, Oxford and Croydon, Wendy’s is considering further expansion into the UK, Europe and beyond.
The fast food giant which is very popular in the United States plans to open 50 more restaurants across the United Kingdom in 2022.
This is the third time the American fast food chain has re-entered the UK market, first in 1981, 1992 and now 2021.
This time around, he’s wowing a new generation of diners with his made-to-order square burgers and inventively titled sides like bacon fries and chili cheese fries.
What makes Wendy’s so popular this time around? We take a look at Wendy’s offerings to give you a taste of what to expect.
The menu is divided into 10 categories: Breakfast, Coffee & Beverages, Combos, Burgers, Chicken Sandwiches & Nuggets, Vegetarian Options, Fresh Salads, Fries & Sides, Frosted Kid’s Meal, and Wendy’s.
Here is a selection of dishes available at Wendy’s restaurants in the UK.
- Classic Egg and Cheese Sandwich (fresh cracked egg on a hot muffin with melted American cheese).
- Baconator Combo Breakfast (grilled sausage, American cheese, applewood smoked bacon, open-air cracked fresh egg, signature cheese sauce in a soft bun).
- Egg Sausage & Cheese Croissant (fresh cracked farm egg, grilled sausage, creamy cheese sauce on flaky croissant bread).
- Cranberry seed porridge (Quaker oat porridge topped with cranberry seeds).
- Bacon cheeseburger (fresh British beef patty, applewood smoked bacon, American cheese, crunchy lettuce, tomato and mayo in a soft bun).
- Baconator (half pound fresh British beef patty, American cheese, 6 pieces of crisp applewood smoked bacon, ketchup and mayo in a soft bun).
- Dave’s Triple (three quarters of a pound of fresh British beef patty, American cheese, crunchy lettuce, tomato, pickle, ketchup, mayo and onion in a toast).
- Cheeseburger Deluxe (fresh British beef patty, cheese, pickles, onions, tomatoes, crunchy lettuce, ketchup and mayo in a soft bun).
- Avocado Chicken Club (juicy, lightly breaded chicken breast, applewood smoked bacon, avocado, tomatoes, crunchy lettuce, garlic mayo in a toast bun).
- Spicy Chicken (seasoned juicy chicken breast, crunchy lettuce, tomato, mayo in a soft bun).
- The Veggie Stack (veggie patty, emmental, juicy tomatoes, crunchy lettuce, garlic mayo on toast).
- 8-Piece Vegetarian Bites (fully vegetarian bites made with black beans, brown rice, chickpeas, sweet corn and cereals, served with dipping sauces).
- Vegetarian avocado salad (mix of signature lettuce, cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, creamy fresh avocado, 4 signature vegetarian bites, southwest ranch dressing).
- Chicken Caesar salad (romaine lettuce, grilled chicken breast, Italian cheese, crispy croutons, creamy Caesar dressing).
- Wendy’s signature dessert is Frosty (available in vanilla and chocolate flavors, similar in texture to a mix between a thick shake and ice cream).
Other dishes on offer include chicken nuggets, chili con carne, sour cream and chive potatoes, chili cheese fries, bacon fries, kid’s vegetable bites, and a kid’s cheeseburger .
Drinks served include espresso, hot chocolate, latte, Coke Light, Orange Fanta, Sprite Zero and many more.
What surprised us about the menu at Wendy’s UK
We didn’t expect to see …
- Cranberry seed porridge, a dish that wouldn’t look out of place in a healthy breakfast bar.
- Potatoes for breakfast could eventually replace hash browns. Potato wedges are typically served as an accompaniment to a main meal in the UK and not at breakfast time.
- The signature lettuce mix (used in all of their salads except the Chicken Caesar salad) is a first for us. Is there a specific amount of lettuce variety used to create Wendy’s Signature Lettuce Blend? We have questions …
- Limited dessert option. Where are the sweets for gourmets looking for a hot dessert in winter? The Frosty is meant to be a dessert, but it’s more of a “thick shake and ice cream” instead of a hot cake or donut with more bite.
For more stories where you live, visit InYourZone.